If I am unable to sell a land lot and am unable to pay taxes and the fees anymore, is it possible to walk away?

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am unable to sell a land lot and am unable to pay taxes and the fees anymore, is it possible to walk away?

There is no mortgage.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you own land fee simple without any mortgage or trust deed recorded on it and are unable to pay its property taxes, you can walk away from it without any recourse for back property taxes.

Rather than let the property go to tax sale, you should consider contacting several charitable organizations about donating the property to it. If you do so, you can possibly get a tax donation for it. If you do the donation and get a tax deduction for the land given to some charity you get some benefit financially tax wise.

Still another option is selling the land to someone below market just to get rid of it.

Finally, you have the option to bid upon the property at the tax sale when it comes up.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption