UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I was asked to work on the 4th of July and a print out was given to me stating
that if I worked that day I would get paid time and one half. They have not paid
me for it yet and today was told that it is not in their policy to pay me time
and a half for that day. I need to know if that is legal?

Asked on August 1, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, since there is no actual right to have July 4th off--the law does not require holidays--the employer could require you to come to work. Since you could be required to work, the employer did not have to pay you more to get you to do so; therefore, their offer or promise to pay you time-and-half is not enforceable, since you could be required to work at your regular rate. It's like a friend promising to buy dinner for you, then reneging on the promise; you couldn't sue the friend, because you had no right to the paid dinner. Similarly, with no right to time-and-a-half on the 4th, you have no recourse against your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption