UPDATED: Aug 16, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


if an employee quits with a two weeks notice may I deduct the cost of the
training the company paid for that was conducted less than a year ago?

Asked on August 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Hawaii


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may only make this deduction if the employee agree to it in writing. Otherwise, such a deduction would be illegal and open you up to a possible civil suit, as well as fines, etc. That having been said, depending on the conditions under which the employee was hired, if it was with the understanding that the training be need to be reimbursed if they stayed with the company for less than a year, then you may still be able to be reimbursed but you would have to take legal action against them (i.e. sue in court). Again, an unauthorized paycheck deduction is not be permitted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption