Where do I send wage garnishment for someone in a department store that has corporate offices in another state?

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I send wage garnishment for someone in a department store that has corporate offices in another state?

 Do I send it to where they work or do I have to domesticate judgment to state of corporate office (payroll department)?

Asked on February 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Without the risk of sounding like I have no idea, I would serve it on BOTH the local store and the corporate offices.  Send the copy to the corporate offices by certified mail, return receipt requested.  Although one might speculate that you would need to register the judgement in the other state in order to execute upon it, service on the store within your state is enough I think to effectuate service on the corporation in the other state.  I might also check with your state Division of Corporations and see who is listed as the agent for service of process in your state.  If they are a foreign corporation authorized to do business in your state they should be required to provide this.  And serve the agent too. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption