W2 help and also wrongful job termination

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

W2 help and also wrongful job termination

I am a 16 year old and know that it is illegal for your employer to not have
returned your W2’s by the end of January. it is now February 3rd and i have still
not received it? Also on my availability i request Tuesday’s and Friday’s off.
I was scheduled to work Friday this week and called in and requested it be
changed. New Link Destination
day being that Friday my friend whom also works there text me saying
if I do not come in I will be fired. I believe to my current knowledge that is
wrongful termination and I still need to obtain my W2 for taxes. Please and
Thanks -Nathan

Asked on February 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that provides otherwise, absent actionable discrimination, your company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This means that it can schedule workers as it deems necessary. Accordingly, if you fail to work your scheduled hours you can be terminated or otherwise suspended. As for providing a W-2, it must be provided to employees by Jan 31st. That basically means the employer can mail them on Jan 31st and meet the requirement otherwise they are subject to penalties for late filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption