What is the law regarding voluntarily Resignation and eligibility to collect unemployment benefits?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding voluntarily Resignation and eligibility to collect unemployment benefits?

My HR department gave me 30 days to locate another position in the company after I had to take my current one after my first position was eliminated. In the letter I had to sign it says if I didn’t find a position I would be considered to have

Asked on February 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you resign, this is voluntarily quitting and unemployment compensation will be denied.
If you are fired, you are eligible for unemployment compensation assuming you were not fired for wrongdoing.
If you don't find a position prior to the deadline in the letter you signed, resignation will result in a denial of unemployment compensation.  You can appeal the denial of unemployment compensation claiming that you were coerced into signing the letter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption