What to do if my 13.5 year old daughter wants to spend less time visiting her father?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 13.5 year old daughter wants to spend less time visiting her father?

She is very unhappy when she is in his care. I have followed the Parenting Plan which required mediation. In mediation, we agreed to take our daughter to counseling. Counseling has been unsuccessful. what is my next step? I do not want to “foster” this relationship just for his sake. Our daughter is miserable.

Asked on August 9, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you take great consideration as to your daughter's desires regarding wanting to spend less time with her father and discuss this issue with the mediator and her father to try and reach some resolution of the issue that is in the best interests of your daughter.

The older the minor gets, the more the court listens to what the minor wishes to do with respect to parental visiting rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption