Vermont Car Accident Law, Lawyers and Attorneys

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Car accidents happen every single day.’ In a country with 4 million miles of highway within its borders, no state is immune from traffic accidents, and Vermont is no exception. Fortunately, there are many options available to protect yourself: seatbelts, airbags, auto insurance, and, as a last resort, the legal system. If you’ve been in a car accident and are looking for help, you’ve come to the right place. Of course, if the accident just occurred, or if you or someone else is injured, you should call 911 immediately. Don’t leave the scene of the accident until you’ve ensured that everyone is alright, and that all your required accident reporting tasks are complete. The information available here on has to do with understanding your legal rights, responsibilities and opportunities. You’ll also find information on issues ranging from claims and fault data to liability issues, as well as rules, laws and other information specific to the state of Vermont, and links to Vermont personal injury attorneys who will be able to evaluate your claim and offer advice on the best course of action for you after your accident.

Vermont Car Accident Articles:

How an Auto Accident Insurance Claim Works
What is Your Car Accident Injury Claim Worth
Who is at Fault?
Car Insurance and Auto Accidents: Are You Covered?
What You Can Expect to Recover for Property Damage in Auto Accident Cases
Auto Accidents: Options if You’re at an Impasse with the Insurance Adjuster
Car Accidents Involving Government-Owned Vehicles and Government Workers
Structured Settlements
Do I Need to Contact an Attorney After a Car Accident

Vermont Car Accident Lawyers:

Find an experienced Vermont Car Accident Attorney at JustAnswer Legal

Article: How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help

Special Rules for Vermont Car Accidents:

Vermont Fault: Proportional Comparative Fault @ 51%

Vermont Car Insurance Requirements/Limits: Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability. The minimum level required by law is:
$25,000 per person for bodily injury
$50,000 per accident for bodily injury
$10,000 per accident for property
Proof of this liability insurance must be kept readily accessible in the vehicle at all times, including at the time and place of an accident, when renewing license plates, and of course any time a police officer or another government employee (such as Department of Revenue) asks to see such proof. Increasingly, insurers are directly asked by the government to provide the necessary proof themselves, though note that this does not waive your own obligations under state or federal law.

Physical proof of valid insurance is not required when registering a car, but you still should be prepared with the insurer’s name and policy number should any forms require it during registration.

Vermont Small Claims Limits:‘ $5,000

Vermont Personal Injury Statute of Limitations: 3 years

Vermont Auto Accidents Involving Government Vehicles: In most cases, government entities receive protection from private lawsuits under a legal doctrine known as’government immunity’ or’sovereign immunity.’ This doctrine doesn’t necessarily give the government complete protection from lawsuits, however. It may just impose extra notice requirements on you before filing suit. For more information on this type of government protection, follow this link to the article on vehicle accident claims against government entities. Keep in mind that, depending on which government entity, there are frequently special requirements for how long you have to notify them of your claim. See below for some Vermont specific details:

Requirements for Filing Against Government Entities:

1) For filing against the Federal Government: Use Standard Form 95 and follow the instructions on the back page. The form must be completed and submitted to the appropriate agency within two years after the claim accrues.

2) For filing against the State of Vermont: The law is clear in maintaining that the state of Vermont is liable for personal injury lawsuits just like any private citizen is, with the exceptions that 1) willful misconduct will exempt the employee from the state’s immunity/insurance protections, 2) there is a $250,000 maximum liability to any one claimant for each occurrence/accident, and 3) a nonresident may sue in superior court but the agent for service of process must be the attorney general (or his/her authorized representative). In general, any accidents causing over $1,000 in damages and/or resulting in injury of any kind must first file an accident report with the DMV. Be sure you have resolved any underlying issues with any suspensions or unpaid parking tickets you may have: there’s no limit in Vermont to how long your license can remain suspended, and the Vermont DMV is very strict on issues such as unpaid tickets, criminal alcohol case protocol, and license reinstatement protocol. The extra steps added to this process (for example, requiring filing of Financial Responsibility Insurance in criminal alcohol case) may push you over the very short time limit (measured in days to weeks) for filing notice claims to the government. See the Vermont Personal Injury Venue section below for Vermont car accident attorney contact information, and more information.

3) For filing against a Vermont county or municipality: The requirements vary with the entity, so you’ll have to contact the specific county or agencies involved. In general, if you are planning to sue a municipal or district officer in Vermont, know that your right of action in court exists solely against the town or municipality that the officer works for, provided that the incident was truly accidental and took place within the scope of the officer’s employment. The town must be named on the action itself and, by law, any defenses applicable to the town are applicable to the employee. See Vermont Personal Injury Venue below for more information on where and how to file a claim. See this directory for other public entities in Vermont.

In dealing with accidents involving government entities and workers, be aware that there are always special notices to be filed against the appropriate government unit responsible, whether in risk management, attorney general’s offices, or local agencies, and the time periods are limited in all cases: as little as 30-180 days after the accident to file a notice of claim. The rules for each jurisdiction may vary, so be sure to carefully check the forms linked above before you fill them out, and/or call the main office numbers of local agencies directly involved before filing your claim. Accident claims involving the government can be complicated; you don’t want to risk losing your ability to recover damages for your injuries because of a filing error. Consult an experienced attorney right away to preserve your rights, and don’t forget that you can post your case for free! Also seeCar Accidents Involving Government-Owned Vehicles and Government Workers.

Vermont Personal Injury Venue (Where to File Lawsuit): In the superior court located where the defendant (the person you are suing) lives, or where you live. If neither of those are options for you, the Court has the authority to change the location of a case to the jurisdiction necessary (i.e. yours or the defendant’s resident jurisdiction) at its discretion.’ Non-residents may bring suit in any superior court in the state, as long as service of process is handled by the attorney general’s office (as agent). It may be easiest to try filing where the accident itself occurred, or where the defendant appears to have his or her place of business. If you are filing a claim against a government agency and are unsure of which agency is responsible, the most prudent course is to file a separate claim against each agency, or contact a Vermont auto accident attorney.’


Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption