Can I revoke a contract for a car purchase?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I revoke a contract for a car purchase?

If I signed a purchase and sales agreement on Saturday but have not taken delivery of the vehicle yet, can I get out of the contract? Even if the dealership has faxed the lienholder info on my present vehicle to pay it off? The agreement was to take delivery of the new vehicle on Monday.

Asked on January 30, 2011 under General Practice, Vermont


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What you are referring to here is a "3-day right of rescission".  This is a legal tool which provides consumers with the right to cancel certain contracts that they have entered into.  However, this right of rescission is uncommon. It only applies to a select few types of transactions and, unfortunately for you, car purchases in VT are not among them.  Therefore you are bound by the terms of your purchase contract.

Note:  If there is some defect with the vehicle (you did not indicate), your situation may be covered by VT's "lemon law".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption