Urgent help needed on estate/tax/inheritance issue in Texas!

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Urgent help needed on estate/tax/inheritance issue in Texas!

My partner’s grandmother died last week. He flew down to TX two days ago to help take care of things with the estate. He was told that the farm is being seized for unpaid federal taxes, and that he could be responsible for as much as a $250k tax bill. Can this be right? His name is not on the deed or title; it was not his farm, he is just a beneficiary of her estate.

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Estate Planning, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First and foremost, who is telling him this? Second, why doesn't he have an estate probate attorney to help? Third, did she have a will? Fourth, who is seizing it? Are there notices?

Fifth, what does he will say if she has a will? Sixth, normally beneficiaries are not personally liable -- he always has an out -- he can choose not to take the house. The estate would be liable and if it has no money, than most likely the property will be seized and no money can be obtained.

This is why your partner needs to at least consult with a Texas probate attorney.  Try www.attorneypages.com and then check his or her record at the Texas State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption