unpaid hours

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

unpaid hours

when I complained in writing to my supervisors supervisor that she was not
allowing me to claim hours I had worked for example when sent out of town
to a training – I have been put on a corrective action plan and charged
with falsifying my time card by under- reporting my hours worked. How Am I
liable when my supervisor signed off on and controlled what I could claim?

Asked on February 7, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are paid on an hourly basis, you must be paid for all hours worked. (If you are salaried, you salary is you only pay, no matter how many hours you work.) If not paid for all hours worked, which includes if the employer will not let you claim or put in a time sheet, etc. for all hours worked, the you could contact your state department of labor to file a wage-and-hour complaint and/or sue for the money.
You may not be disciplined for looking to enforce your legal rights--such as your right to be paid for all hours worked. Punishing you for enforcing your legal rights is illegal and you could again file a complaint with the department of labor or sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption