Unlicensed driver gets hit by uninsured driver

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unlicensed driver gets hit by uninsured driver

My granddaughter with my permission was
driving my car and was hit by an
uninsured drver. Will my insurance cover

Asked on July 30, 2017 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance company will deny your claim because your grand daughter was not on your insurance policy because she was unlicensed. Your insurance company will claim that she is an unauthorized driver. If she had been licensed, but not on your insurance policy, the insurance company would have denied the claim because again she would have been an unauthorized driver.
If she had been an authorized driver on your insurance, the claim would have been denied unless you had uninsured motorist coverage.
Your only recourse is to sue the at fault driver for negligence. Depending on the cost of repairs, you might be able to file the lawsuit in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption