Unknown actions?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unknown actions?

My soon-to-be sister-in-law is selling drugs out of her grandmother’s house. The grandmother has no knowledge of this going on. I want to turn her in for this, however, I do not want anything to happen to the grandmother. This is happening in the state of Florida. Can the grandmother be charged with anything?

Asked on December 19, 2016 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, legally, she can't be charged criminally: criminal charges require criminal "mens rea" or intent, which includes at a minimum, knowledge--you can't intend what you don't even know about, after all. 
However, if there is evidence suggested that the grandmother knew (including if the sister-in-law tries to blame it on the grandmother to get leniency for herself), then she may be charged: the authorities aren't perfect or mind readers, so even if the grandmother in fact did not know, if there is evidence of knowledge that suggests that she did, they may try to charge.
Also, sometimes a property from which drugs are being sold can be taken by the state under the process of civil forefeiture, even if the homeowner had no knowledge. Civil forefeiture allows the authtorities to seize property used to sell drugs without having to get a conviction of the owner. 
Before acting, therefore, consult with a criminal defense attorney who can evaluate the situation in detail and advise as to the risks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption