If an uninsured teen driver was in an accident but the car was insured, will there be any trouble?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an uninsured teen driver was in an accident but the car was insured, will there be any trouble?

My 16 year old son just started driving my car. He got into an accident that was

not his fault. The car is insured, however he is not an insured driver. What are the laws and what can we do to get this cleared up?

Asked on October 4, 2018 under Accident Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So states typically have what is known as a "permissive use" dictrine, meaning if someone is using your car with your permission they are covered under your policy if something happens.  You should really check with your agent if your policy has such a provision just in case, but he should be covered.  Now, though, you may have an issue with your carrier for not adding him so talk to your agent about that too.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption