Can I quit my job due to medical reasons and still collect unemployment benefits?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I quit my job due to medical reasons and still collect unemployment benefits?

I had knee surgery and now my employer says I can’t come back unless I can do the job 100%. However I can’t due to the permanent restrictions placed by the doctor (I had total knee replacement). My job says they have no other jobs open. It is a union worksite and there is job bid program in place. I am on short term disability now. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits if I quit my job due to the medical reasons?

Asked on August 4, 2011 Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you are eligible for unemployment benefits due to the injury that you are writing about depends upon whether or not the injury is work related or not. To get a definitive answer to your question and whether you can quit and get unemployment benefits is best determined after you have a conference with a worker's compensation attorney.

I would not quit your job. Rather, I would steadfastly rely on your treating physician's orders as to your ability to return to work or not in the near future on a part time or full time basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption