Unemployment Benefits-New Jersey

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unemployment Benefits-New Jersey

My husband is currently in the military. He received orders to relocate out of the country. Our family was on his orders, so I left with him. Initially I was collecting unemployment benefits. However, they were taken away from be because the New Jersey UI office stated that because there is so agreement with the country that we are in now I do not qualify. Is this possible? Can they take away my benefits. Also, how am I not qualified if I am able and looking for work?

Asked on February 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What you heard from the state UI person you spoke with is at odds with the state Department of Labor's own official policy, which is that: "For example, a person quits work to move out of the area.  While this is a good personal reason to quit, the reason for quitting is not connected with the work and the person would be disqualified. There are exceptions to this disqualification . . .  when a spouse or civil union partner of an active military member leaves work to move with the military member who is transferred outside of the state."
Below is a link to the state Dept. of Labor's own webpage on the subject. You should refer the Dept. to their own policy here and ask for the authority or legal justification for not providing it in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption