Am I eligible to file for underemployment?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I eligible to file for underemployment?

I have been working as an insulation specialist for a duct cleaning company for 6 to 7 months now. I started off full time and sometimes overtime. Business is getting slow and ther hours are terrible lately.

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no underemployment insurance. Rather, if you are fired (and not for cause), you could file for unemployment. If while on unemployment, you get a part-time job that pays a small amount, you'd still be able to collect some unemployment, though your earnings would function as at least a partial offset against them. However, if you are still at the same employer and they cut your hours or salary, there is no sort of insurance to file for.

If you want to check on this, the issue is covered by Section 48 of the Michigan Employment Security Act and the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) Administrative Rules 112, 113, and 302.

Here's a link to the state site that will explain further eligibility requirements:,1607,7-118-26831_27122_27127-78551--,00.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption