Under Doctors Care

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Under Doctors Care

I was out under doctors care for pnemonia from Wednesday to Mondy, June 15th. I called in on Sunday to verify what time I needed to come in and was told by my supervisor that my services was not needed and I could pick my check up Wednesday. Does this fall under wrongful termination??

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I doubt that it's wrongful termination.  It would be very hard to prove that you were fired for missing these four days of work, and other than that, you are probably, like most people, an employee "at will," without a contract.  The company does not need a reason to fire you, as long as they avoid illegal reasons like discrimination and retaliation.

There are some very limited exceptions.  If you think there is a possibility that there is some other reason why what your employer did was wrongful, beyond what you've explained here, you should talk to an attorney in your area.  One place to find a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption