Uncontested Divorce in Texas

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Uncontested Divorce in Texas

My daughter is married and has been separated for a while.During her separation she conceived a child with another man who she is not able to find and does not want him to pay child support. Her husband is willing to take a DNA test to prove he is not the biological father. Does she have to prove paternity before she is granted a divorce She is wanting to file for divorce without hiring a attorney.

Asked on March 18, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, children conceived during a marriage are considered children OF the marriage even if the Husband is not the Father.  It all has to do with child support for the child.  I would strongly suggest that your daughter speak with an attorney on a consultation basis - maybe offer to pay for an hour of their time - to find out what type of documents (generally affidavits) that the Court may require so that things go off without a problem.  While she can ndeed check the box on uncontested divorce paperwork that says that there are no children of the marriage, she should be sure it doens't come back to haunt her in the end.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption