Unauthorized witholdings from final paycheck

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unauthorized witholdings from final paycheck

I resigned from my job on my own terms
one week ago. My direct deposit final
paycheck never posted. I contacted my
former employer, who then stated that
everyone was being deducted an amount
for lost property. I never knew or heard of
this lost property until today. I need to
find out if it is legal for them to make a
deduction for an item that I never lost or

Asked on December 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In FL there are no laws on what deductions that can be taken from an employee's paycheck or whether or not an employee must provide written consent prior to any deduction. Accordingly, a company can withhold or deduct wages from a worker's pay check for:cash shortages; breakage/damage/loss of the employer’s property; dishonored or returned checks; required uniforms; required tools; other items necessary for employment. That having been said, pursuant to federal law, an employer may not make deductions for any of the above items if it would cause the employee to earn less than federal minimum wage for the period in which the deduction was made. If you cannot get your final paycheck, you should file a wage claim with yout states dpeartment of labor or yuo can sue your employer in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption