How best to handle the unauthorized use of my vehicle by my ex-fiancee?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to handle the unauthorized use of my vehicle by my ex-fiancee?

My ex-fiancee is using my vehicle without my permission. The vehicle was purchased under my name and is registered. When we broke up, I wrote up an agreement that upon her graduation from college (8 months ago), that she was either to return the vehicle to me or she could take over the loan on the vehicle. The agreement was notarized. Since that time she has refused to do either, despite many requests. She has stopped providing money to pay off the loan and insurance money. I would like to take her to small claims court and or report the vehicle as stolen.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are on the title and it is registered in your name alone along with the insurance, this could be an issue with respect to jeopardizing your insurance coverage. You can try to have the car repossessed but if there is an existing loan, then you are not considered the lienholder and the repossession company won't touch it. You may indeed need to sue her and you can also drop the insurance and inform her the insurance on the vehicle has been dropped and you pay off the car and sue her for reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption