Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. I let someoneI didn’t know borrow my car to run to the store, and the person never came back.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. I let someoneI didn’t know borrow my car to run to the store, and the person never came back.

I let someone whom I only know by their first name only use my vehicle to run a small errand,. The person never brought my car back. The car has been reported as an unauthorized use. Do I continue to insure the car? Am I responsible for parking tickets, or anything that can happen to the vehicle while it is not in my possession? When can the police turn this into a STOLEN vehicle report? Am I liable for the life of the vehicle? The car has been missing for a week, and I am unable to locate the person who is driving it.

Asked on April 22, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Reporting the incident to the police was a right move indeed, as such has signified your sincerity and clean intent. But that does not automatically relieve you from possible liability that might arise as a consequence. In your case, there is a strong presumption and expression of consent because you voluntarily handed the key/s over to the person to run an errand for you. Also, there is negligence on your part because you entrusted your vehicle even you don’t know that person fully-well. Therefore, you may become fully or partly responsible.

I suggest you follow-up the case with the local police. You can ask them to issue a stolen vehicle-alert at a proper time. As soon as they have your vehicle back, you would know what you are ought to be facing. Then, consult your lawyer at once.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption