If my father passed away without a Will, am I entitled to any of his land?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father passed away without a Will, am I entitled to any of his land?

My father put his hundred acre farm in my brother’s name because of some problems with their neighbor. I want to move there but my youngest wont let me. All my life I was told that twenty acres was mine but now I’m not allowed on the place. I given a copy of a statement they say my dad wrote but I don’t think that he wrote it.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  If a peson dies with out a Will then they have been said to have dies "intestate" and the intestacy laws in their state will decide how their property is distributed.  Here is the problem here: the property is not in your Father's estate.  It is in your brother's name.  And although I understand the reason that your dad put it in his name, the fact is that it was not part of your father's estate at the time of his death.  Please go and speak with some one there about what paper you were given and the situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption