What is an employees obligation regarding tuition reimbursement repayment after leaving employment?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is an employees obligation regarding tuition reimbursement repayment after leaving employment?

I am leaving my company after 7 years total employment. They sponsored an MBA for 100% and their policy is 3 years employment from the completeion of the MBA. The course was 19 month during which I worked full time and I have since worked for 20 months since the completion but am now leaving to return to my home country (Australia). What is my legal position with regards to repayment? The policy says I am obliged to repay 100% of the tuition if I leave before 3 years but this does not seem tenable. I was aware of the policy but I don’t believe I signed anything to acknowledge the policy.

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is pretty clear from the policy that if you leave within 3 years of completion of the degree program you must repay the tuition back to the company. When you claim the reimbursement have you signed anything? You are bound by the policy since you are not fulfilling the terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption