What is the law pertaining to beneficiaries of a trust?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law pertaining to beneficiaries of a trust?

Father-in-law left a living trust for his wife (my step-mother) with my husband and his 2 sisters to have the trust divided when she passes. She has remarried. Can she and her new husband spend the trust funds however they want? Is it contestable? And how could we find out the amount due to my husband?

Asked on June 23, 2011 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I can tell how very upset the situation is making you on top of the loss of your Father in Law.  But the best way to get any guidance on this matter i9s to take the trust document to an attorney to review and to interpret under the laws of your state.  If she chooses to spend the funds on her new husband I think that there is very little that you can do about it unless the trust itself limits that (which I doubt).  I am sure that you are afraid that there will be nothing left when she passes on for your husband and his siblings.  So it is best to put your minds at rest and see what options you have.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption