Does the truancy officer who actually wrote me a citation have to be physically present in court?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the truancy officer who actually wrote me a citation have to be physically present in court?

The truant officer wrote me a citation for truancy but I was never properly served. Now I have a court date for this but the officer who issued the citation is no longer employed here so a different new truant officer is showing up to court instead.

Asked on July 9, 2019 under Criminal Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you "not guilty" and go to trial, if the state can't produce the officer who cited you, then unless they have some other evidence of your truancy (e.g. emails or texts from you, admitting your truancy; other witnesses who can testify they were with you when you should have been in school; etc.) they will lose their case: they have to have evidence, including witness (e.g. the officer) testimony. On the other hand, if they do have other witnesses or evidence, then they don't need the truacy officer and can proceed with the case without him or her. The fact that he/she wrote the citation is irrelevant; all that matters is can they prove truancy?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption