Travel expenses reimbursement

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Travel expenses reimbursement

I was a W2 employee of one company from Reston. The subcontract me to a bigger company also from VA to their client out of state. My contract stated hourly rate and expenses. Due to the sloppy procedures they took almost 2 months to reimburse me for the first 2 weeks and the rest remained unpaid 19K. I cannot go to the small claims court as it’s over 15k. Where do I start? I contacted VA Dept of Labor, they only deal with unpaid wages. Ironically, the amount they owe me is higher than what I received in my wages. I am looking for somebody to guide in the process, can do filing myself.

Asked on February 23, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only way to recover your money is to sue. If you were contracted to work in NJ, you can likely sue in a NJ court but will have to serve the company out-of-state, where it is located in VA. That will increase cost and complexity, and also the cost and complexity of actually being paid after you sue them and (presumably) win, if they do not then honor the judgement but instead force you to go to collections efforts. You are strongly encouraged to retain a lawyer to help you, even though they want a retainer upfront (which is standard in cases like this). If you are determined to act as your own attorney, you will sue in what is called Law Division. You can get instructions, sample forms, and court rules online, from the NJ judiciary website.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption