transmutation of property (SC)

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

transmutation of property (SC)

one of the things the judge uses to determine if the property i owned before i got married is if we used the property as marital. exactly what is he looking for?

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

In equitable distribution states (and South Carolina is one), the transmutation doctrine has been chiefly applied to situations when separate property becomes marital property.  In order for transmutation to occur, the owning spouse must express his intention to contribute his separate property to the receiving spouse or to the marital estate.  Transmutation can occur when:

  • Separate property becomes so commingled as to be untraceable
  • Separate property is used by the spouses in support of the marriage
  • Property is titled jointly or otherwise used so as to show an intent by the spouses to make it marital property

Separate property can become marital property when:

  • Marital funds are used to pay down the mortgage on a home which one spouse owned before marriage
  • Separate property owned by one spouse is transferred into the names of both spouses
  • A swimming pool is built at the marital home with inherited funds

Merely using non-marital property to support the marriage, without an intent to make a gift, may be insufficient for transmutation to occur.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption