Transfer between internal companies

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Transfer between internal companies

I’ve been working for my company for 3 years as asset manager. They decided to transfer me to another sub company because of internal reasons. Everything else stay the same its just the company that employs me change. I didn’t agree but they said it’s just internal and means nothing and transferred me anyway. Can they do that? What happened is I am laid off? Can I still get the unemployment benefits that someone who worked for a company for 3 years can get?

Asked on January 11, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can quit: that's your only right. Unless you had a written employment contract for a fixed or defined term (e.g. one year) which was still in effect (i.e. not expired) which guaranteed you a certain position with a certain entity or unit, you were an employee at will. As an employee at will, your position, your compensation, which entity within the larger framework you work for or are paid by, etc. is all up to the employer's sole choice. If you don't accept this transfer, you will be quiting or resigning and will therefore not be eligible for unemployment benefits, because it will be a voluntary (your choice) separation from employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption