Traffic Offenses, still illegal after you shut off the car?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Traffic Offenses, still illegal after you shut off the car?

My friend was driving in Rocky River ohio without a license in her friends car that had expired tags. A cop saw her, followed her, and didn’t make any action to pull her over or anything until she had already turned the car off and was getting out to go inside of the store. Is it still ticket able even though when he made notion to stop her she technically wasn’t operating the vehicle anymore?

Asked on August 27, 2016 under General Practice, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not the car was running is of no bearing here. The officer observed your friend driving, an action for which she was not licensed for. Additionally, the tags were expired when the car was being operated. The officer was well within their rights to wait to take action until the car was safely off of the road.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption