UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption



Once my trademark gets approved, can I add categories to it in the future? E.g.
if I plan to expand my swimwear line in the future and decide to make dresses or

Thank you

Asked on August 28, 2016 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can, and this is not uncommon as businesses grow and expand. You have to file a formal amendment to the trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and have it go through the vetting process and be approved; fortunately, the PTO website has clear instructions on how to do this. Note that it is possible that some other trademark holder who did not object to your initial filing because the categories of goods & services did not infringe on their activities may object to an expansion, if the expansion does impact them--that is not to say that they will succeed, of course, in the objection, or that you won't be able to add the category, but just be aware that successfully adding categories is not a given.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption