UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I just bought a car on 9/2, got home roughly around 8pm. The place I live have limited parking and only a few visitor spots. You’re required to have a parking tag to park in a non visitor spot. There were not any visitor spots when I parked. They person that towed my car says that there were at the the time he towed it. My car was towed sometime on 9/3 and I was forced to pay 100. I’ve already payed it and gotten my car back I’m just wondering if there is anything I can do legally because this was really upsetting and I feel like I just got robbed.

Asked on September 2, 2017 under General Practice, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the tow company for negligence. Negligence is the failure to exercise due care which is that degree of care that a reasonable tow truck company would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm.
You can file your lawsuit in small claims court. Your damages (monetary amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) would be the $100 you paid to have your car returned. 
If you prevail in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption