Tourist Visa then get married

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tourist Visa then get married

Would it be possible to just enter USA
on tourist visa then after 90 days i
will marry my boyfriend who is a US
Citizen, then finally filing for
adjustment of status? Wouldn’t they
charge me for visa fraud or ultimately
deport me? what’s the safest way to
deal with this? Cuz I don’t want to
undergo the stress of fiance visa

Asked on June 10, 2017 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can do an adjustment of status to permanent residence on the basis of your marriage but it has to be done in a way that does not relate back to your entry as a tourist.  So, for sure, you want to wait at least 90 days before getting married and filing an adjustment of status application.  To be on the safest side, you should consult with an immigration attorney about the specifics of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption