Tourist B1 visa want to invest on commercial property with a citizen in USA

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tourist B1 visa want to invest on commercial property with a citizen in USA


My brother is B1 Visa and had been to USA on tourist visa 2 years back. He is
currently in India and going to invest in commercial property with one of our
close friend who is citizen here and have License and authorization to run
My question is that if my brother comes here on tourist visa and start working
with him then can he be sponsored for valid work visa or labor?
Please brief if it is possible.


Asked on October 23, 2017 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

He can invest in a property in the US while in B-1 status but that does not give him any basis for employment or sponsorship.  He is not authorized to work in the US.  He can be sponsored for employment-based visa without investing in any property, just on the basis of a valid job offer.  Having invested in a property does not serve as a basis for sponsorship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption