Can a person who is not paying for a piece of property be put on the title of the property legally?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person who is not paying for a piece of property be put on the title of the property legally?

 Is that person now considered an “owner” even though he has not paid for the property?

Asked on August 8, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A person who has not paid anything for real property may become a record owner if the record owner of a piece of property desires to grant an interest of that owner's property (grant deed) or release an interest (quit claim) that he or she may have.

The gifting of real property to others is a common estate planning device. Many times parents gift fractionalized ownership interests in real property that they own to their children for specific reasons, amongst them estate planning purposes.

In such a situation where a gift of real property is made, the person receiving an interest in the property through a recorded deed in the county's recorder's office where the property is located becomes one of its owners even though the person receiving the interest pays nothing for the property received.

Good question.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption