What happens if title on home is not changed after a divorce and the spouse awarded the home dies?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if title on home is not changed after a divorce and the spouse awarded the home dies?

My sister got divorced and was awarded her home. She was in the process of refinancing and getting the title changed to her name alone but she died 4 months after divorcing and the refinance/title change was not complete. Therefore, the title to the home was still in joint tenancy with her ex-husband. Does he have any legal rights to the home? Will the title situation cause any problems for the estate when it comes time to sell the home? Can the home be transferred to the ex-husband outisde of probate if the heirs wish it to be? Would the divorce decree show up in any title search?

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Estate Planning, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about the passing of your sister and the dissolution decree giving her title to the home that you have written about, I suggest that the executor of her estate get a certified copy of the dissolution decree giving the home to your sister and record it with the county recorder's office where the home is located.

By doing this, the home which technically is an asset of your sister's estate is protected as such. I recommend that a Wills and trust attorney be consulted about administering your sister's estate.

I caution against transferring title to the home in contradiction to the dissolution decree and any Will or trust of your sister. If the dissolution decree is recorded on the home it will show up on a preliminary title report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption