If a small car dealership financed my cr and the owner got accused of a Class A felony and might go to prison, what should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a small car dealership financed my cr and the owner got accused of a Class A felony and might go to prison, what should I do?

I have been paying on my vehicle for over 2 years. The man owner got accused of a Class A felony for stealing property over $50,000 and has not yet been convicted. Who do I pay? Do I get my title? I’m unsure what I need to do.

Asked on October 16, 2018 under Business Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You keep paying who you have been paying until and unless you receive some legal notice to the contrary (e.g. something from a trustee or receiver, with a court order, that they are taking over the finances, etc.).  An arrest, charges, even conviction does not by itself change anything.
If you should have gotten the title already and have not, file a lawsuit aginst the dealership seekig a court order that they provide it to you. If under the terms by which you bought the car, you are not yet entitled to title (e.g. you don't get it until payment is complete), you can't do anything about it until and unless they fail to provide when they are supposed to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption