Time sheet fraud.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 26, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Time sheet fraud.

My employer adjusted my timesheets on
multiple occasions saying I didn’t work
certain days when I did.
I worked 50 hours a week and my
paystubs said I was only working 65
hours bi-weekly.
Which is not true.
How do I go about pressing charges on
them and getting my money that I worked?

Asked on October 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't "press charges" on them What you do is one or both of the following, assuming you are an hourly employee (if salaried, it doesn't matter how many hours you worked):
1) Contact the state department of labor (or the federal department, but the state may be more responsive) to file a wage-and-hour complaint: they enforce the labor laws, including that all hourly employees should be paid for all hours worked.
2) Hire an employment law attorney and sue your employer for the unpaid time, including unpaid overtime as applicable.
Obviously, the more evidence you have, the stronger your case. Do you have copies, scans, photos, etc. of your unadjusted timesheets, or other evidence of having worked (e.g. emails sent from your work computer when your employer claims you were not working)?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption