What is the timeframe to vacate a default judgment in unlawful detainer?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the timeframe to vacate a default judgment in unlawful detainer?

I’m filing a motion to vacate a default judgment in an unlawful detainer matter, and I don’t know how long I have to give the plaintiff to answer?

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are filing a motion to set aside a default judgment against you in an unlawful detainer action, the court clerk will set a hearing date, time and department for the hearing of your motion. You will need to serve a copy of the motion to set aside the default judgment upon the plaintiff and sign a proof of service to be filed with the court that you did this.

The plaintiff will then have an opportunity to file an opposition to this motion. You then have an opportunity to file a response to this opposition. All parties need to serve upon the other side the documents served and have them filed with the court. The court will then make a decision as to your motion at the set hearing date.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption