Time for my son, 1st offenses, to much time offered can we get it lowered.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Time for my son, 1st offenses, to much time offered can we get it lowered.

my son has 4 burglary’s has been incarcerated for 7 months. First offenses, 1st offer in Dec. 12 years suspended after 6. Last week 15 years suspended after 4. Next court date July 2, with an accept or reject. And we do not want to go to trial. But we want to get it to 2 or 3 years. We are not all that concerned with the later of the time. Just the initial incarceration time. Please Help.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your son has been held on bond for the past seven months, it is possible that he could receive jail credit for the time that he has already been incarcerated.  That means that by the time he has been sentenced, he may already have served approximately eight months of his four years to serve (according to the current offer), which, from a practical perspective, means that he would only have a little over three years left to serve -- effectively making it the sentence that you are currently looking for.  However, burglary is a serious charge, and these are not light sentences.  Therefore, prior to accepting any deal I strongly suggest you consult with and/or retain an experienced criminal defense attorney in the interest of preserving your son's rights and obtaining the most favorable resolution of these charges possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption