What is my liability if I let my unlicensed girlfriend drive my uninsured car and she got into an accident?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my liability if I let my unlicensed girlfriend drive my uninsured car and she got into an accident?

She got a ticket for driving without a license and no insurance but ultimately is was my uninsured car that was in the accident. Am I the responsible party?

Asked on June 5, 2014 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your girlfriend was at-fault in any way (driving carelessly; speeding; going to fast for conditions; going through a street sign or stop light; failing to yield; driving distractedly; etc.) in causing the accident then both of you are potentially liable:

* The at-fault driver herself is liable for any damage, injury, costs, etc. she causes; and

* The owner of a car is responsible for damage, injuries, costs caused by an at-fault driver whom he allowed to drive the car with permission.

Either or both of you could be sued.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption