What to do if there was a major violation on my driving record that was incorrect?

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if there was a major violation on my driving record that was incorrect?

The State admitted the error. Is there any recourse for the added expense to my insurance and jobs I have loss due to the error?

Asked on April 28, 2015 under Criminal Law, Oregon


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

States usually have absolute immunity for any of their screwups.  However, sometimes you can make a civil rights type claim.  These are difficult, but not impossible.  You need to take the records containing the major violation and the reason that they gave you for the violation to an attorney that specializes in suing governmental entities.  Many will give you an inexpensive or free consultation.  Visit with more than one.  Lawyers are like doctors, it doesn't hurt to second opinion.  Sometimes one attorney will know little, while another will know the appropriate exception that could be applicable to your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption