Is a deed restriction extinguished if the owner looses the landin foreclosure?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a deed restriction extinguished if the owner looses the landin foreclosure?

“Declaration of Restrictions for parcel #xxx-xx-xxxz, in Yavapai County, AZ. This parcel can never be smaller than 1.5 acre. No horses permitted on the said [sic] property. Home size to be not less than 2800 square ft. custom build of one level only. These restrictions are impose [sic] by current owners XYZ Living Trust.” The person who added the restriction lives next door, but lost this land in foreclosure/bankruptcy. Since they lost the title can the restriction be challenged? I would like to build a smaller house.

Asked on August 20, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the restrictions recorded on the adjoining land were recorded AFTER the mortgage or trust deed securing the loan on the adjoining land were recorded and if the mortgage or trust deed that was in prior recorded position were the instruments that were foreclosed upon where title to that property was lost, then it would appear that the subsequently recorded restrictions were wiped out as a junior recorded document on that foreclosed property.

However, if these restrictions were recorded on your property, then they remain.

If the restrictions you write about are on your home, one way to get them removed is to approach the new owner of the foreclosed property that recorded the restrictions on yours to see if there is any willingness to record a document rescinding the restriction on your property.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption