What to do if there is a court order for my child’s father to pay child support but he voluntarily quit his job?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if there is a court order for my child’s father to pay child support but he voluntarily quit his job?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Family Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is incredibly frustrating situation for many custodial parents.  You do however, have a couple of different options.  First, if he starts to fall behind, which he probably will, you can file a motion for enforcement.  Considering that he voluntarily quit, you could ask for additional sanctions for him intentionally being underemployed.  The process begins with filing a motion in the same court that entered the child support order and then requesting a hearing on your motion.

Your second option is to make sure that your state child support enforcement unit is involved.   They can garnish things like income tax returns-- which may come in handy since it's that time of the year to file. 

More than likely, he will try to get you to waive back child support-- but just remind him that his obligation continues to accrue regardless of his employment status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption