Theft of a 3000 mower

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Theft of a 3000 mower

I loaned my daughters boyfriend a brand new zero turn mower I bought.
Found out today that he has either dawned or sold the mower. Can I
file charges against him for theft?

Asked on October 17, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can contact the district attorney's office and have criminal charges filed for larceny (theft).
Another course of action would be to sue the boyfriend for conversion which is theft in a civil case.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for conversion) would be the value of the mower ($3000). You can file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  In addition to the value of the mower, upon prevailing in the case, you can recover court costs such as the court filing fee and process server fee.
You can enforce the court judgment against the boyfriend with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption