Theft charge in Oregon

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Theft charge in Oregon

I was arrested and released for Theft 2. This is my first arrest. I don’t know why I shoplifted and have never had any intent or prior desire do so. It was a stupid error in judgment and I want to do the right thing. My court date is in 1 1/2 weeks. I do not know what to do. I took 3 items in value of $120 total. Detained at store, picked up by police, booked and released. What are my options? I still can’t beleive I did this. I take prozac for depression. Can this cause you to have irrational thoughts? Thank you for your reply.

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Criminal Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should get an attorney to help you with this.  This is a misdemeanor, a criminal offense.  Perhaps they can get the charge thrown out on a technicality or somehow reduced.  It will be worth it in the long run to have a lawyer represent you.  If you can't afford one try legal aid (the public defender typically doesn't handle shoplifiting cases). 

Additionally, if this is your first criminal offense, you may qualify for some type of alternative sentencing which would leave you without a criminal record.  And, in Oregon, even if you are convicted of a misdemeanor you can move to have an "expungement" (clearing) of your record.

Again, however, your first step should be to speak with an attorney.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption