Theft and repyament of theft

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Theft and repyament of theft

What happens if I admitted to taking a $200.00 item and $120.00 cash from my employer, but agreed with employer to apply my final pay check of $445.00 to this debt? If they still press charges what happens to me in court if I have the documentation that I repaid the money to them, and can what further legal action can my employer take against me? Am I liable to pay back the $1400.00 signing bonus even though the signed agreement says verbage “quit” and nothing in regards to being terminated?

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First, don't make any more admissions to anyone about anything.  Yes, they can still press charges.  The documentation might be used against you - to show that you in fact did wrongfully acquire the money and accepted responsibility to pay it back.  Considering the potential repercussions of a prosecution/criminal conviction, you may wish to spend some of the 1400 signing bonus in retaining a criminal defense lawyer to try to negotiate its return.  Beware, though, as you can't pay a party to prevent them from pressing charges as it will be up to the state prosecutor's office to decide if the public interest requires a prosecution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption