What to do about a theft charge?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a theft charge?

I got caught stealing about $500 from my employer. He has not called the police yet but I am supposed to go in tomorrow morning to talk to him. I was caught on camera. What steps should I be taking and what are the penalties for my offense?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were caught on tape stealing from your employer and have a meeting with him, be prepared to immediately return the money taken and explain why you did so. From an employer's position, what you did was a breach of utmost trust.

Potentially, if the employer wishes to press charges, you could be charged with felony theft where the punishment is jail time and a significant fine. Depending upon what is discussed tomorrow, you might consider retaining a criminal defense attorney if you are charged with a crime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption