If the state police came looking for me and they left a card so I called them and they want to speak to me, what shouldI do?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the state police came looking for me and they left a card so I called them and they want to speak to me, what shouldI do?

What should I do I’m scared? It’s about unemployment.

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First of all you can decline this "invitation". The fact is that you do not have to speak with them if you choose not to.  This is true whether they want you to appear at the police station or they come back to your house. Whatever you do, under no circumstances should you go to speak with the police without having an attorney present. This is true no matter how innocent you may or may not be; you could say something incriminating about yourself or others regarding the incident being investigated. 

If you speak to them without having a lawyer to protect your interests, it is to their benefit. They will try to get you to implicate yourself. Therefore, no matter how friendly they may appear or no matter how threatening they may seem, do not speak to them without legal counsel. 

At this point, you need to consult directly a criminal defense lawyer in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption