The sellers signed the purchase agreement but now the spouse will not sign the deed. Do I have any legal recourse?

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

The sellers signed the purchase agreement but now the spouse will not sign the deed. Do I have any legal recourse?

I am attempting to purchase a home that my father, aunts and uncles own. My father signed the purchase agreement but now my step mother will not sign the deed. Do I have any legal options?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I assume if you have gotten to this point you have a signed contract and an attorney handling this matter

Your first step is to ask the attorney to handle this as they probably see this more frequently and can handle it efficiently.

Basically if the contract is signed and if everything has been finalized except for a signature on the deed you should have a valid avenue to pursue. First make sure the step mother is actually an owner of the property if not her signature is not required. If she is and if everyone else signed it there may be a caveat to getting around it. If there isn't than you need to pursue this as a broken contract if as I said all other paperwork has been finalized and especially if money has been exchanged

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption